Create the Future
Attention is like a spotlight that magnifies anything it touches… anything you put your attention on gets bigger and stronger and prospers.
Ethics, Conservation and Privacy
- Respect and advocate the engineer’s obligation to serve humanity.
- Consider and make the best use of available resources.
- Maintenance should be equally weighted against innovation.
- Systems that create, curate and disseminate information—as well as information itself—can be tools of both oppression and liberation.
- New data is itself a cost and responsibility.
- Work to promote a future where technology can be implemented in ways that protect civil liberties.
Purpose, Substance and Sustainability
- Industrial development serves highly mutable business requirements that outlive any single engineer.
- Good code is easy to delete.
- Focus on immediate utility over presumed reusability, sprawling abstraction and premature optimization.
- Deliver real results through pragmatic solutions encouraging readability, maintainability and testability.
Inspiration and Aspiration
- Learn from what you like and apply it to what you do.
- The art of listening is infinitely more powerful than speaking.
- It is better to succeed than to be right.
- Share success. Own failure.
- Leave it better than you found it.
- Encourage, embrace and emit energy you enjoy.
- Good judgement is what produces trust, not quality, quantity or pure technical skill.
- The beginnings of all things are small.